Tasteful Editing is owned by Jenna Nelson Patton. I am an experienced editor with a specialty in cookbook and wellness editing. I work with large publishers and small presses, best-selling authors and first-time writers. When you work with me, you’ll find that I truly enjoy what I do.
Food & Cookbooks
Gardening & Hobbies
I also specialize in projects that inspire readers to explore their creativity, pick up a new craft, or learn new techniques.
Mind/body & Wellness
I enjoy working with authors who help their readers make lifestyle changes and reach challenging new goals.
What you can expect from Tasteful Editing
- excellent nonfiction developmental editing and copy editing
- reliable turnaround times and availability for questions after the edit is complete
- timely updates to the project manager and editor during the edit
- a style sheet for every project to help your proofreader and indexer work efficiently
- quality comments and queries that are—above all—respectful
- a flexible editor who enjoys working with authors to make every book the best it can be
Meet Your Editor: Jenna
I began editing ten years ago because I enjoy working with languages and helping authors to set readers up for success. I like being a part of the team that turns a manuscript into a finished book. I learn something new from every project, and it seems like there is always a new trend or ingredient to keep things interesting.
PhD, Emory University
MA, Université de Montréal
BA, University of Pittsburgh
Chicago Manual of Style
For me, cookbook editing is probably the perfect combination of the things I know and enjoy.
- I am the daughter of a food scientist. While I was growing up, I learned about ingredients in our backyard garden, and I learned to cook using the industrial stand mixer in our kitchen. I am an active, lifelong home cook.
- I am involved in food communities. I serve on the board of directors for the Maine Federation of Farmers’ Markets, a statewide nonprofit dedicated to supporting Maine’s farmers, strengthening our local food network, and fighting food insecurity in our state. I am also a member of the International Association of Culinary Professionals.
- I test recipes for some outstanding cookbook authors. Recipe testing helps me approach every project with even more appreciation for the author’s creativity and hard work.
- I understand the chef and the home cook, and I know how to balance their needs on the page. For every editing project, I work to ensure that every page is clear, complete, and engaging. I apply your house style carefully, and I work with authors productively. I have extensive experience with special diets (e.g., vegan, vegetarian, raw, Paleo, and Keto). I am comfortable working with nutritional analysis, metric conversions, and complex methods.
It was a pleasure to see Jenna copyedit one of the cookbooks I co-penned. Her expertise, attention to detail, and respect for the message to be conveyed, all greatly helped make the book even better than I hoped for. I look forward to working with Jenna again soon!
Jenna is an amazing editor, driven to improve the meaning and material in the author’s voice. She’s not content until both the publisher and the author are. Highly communicative, and with an intelligent and compassionate book-side manner, working with Jenna is a wonderful experience that I wish every author could share.
When I’m not digging through style guides, I enjoy life in Maine with my husband, Russell Patton, and our amazing little dog. We like running, hiking in Acadia, and going to see live music—anything from the Descendents to Nick Cave to the Bangor Symphony Orchestra.
Reading: The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
Listening: Ólafur Arnalds
Cooking: recipes from Cafe Sunflower in Atlanta, Georgia
Running: MDI half-marathon (October 2021) & the Millinocket half-marathon (December 2021)