I also specialize in projects that inspire readers to explore their creativity, pick up a new craft, or learn new techniques.
I enjoy working with authors who help their readers make lifestyle changes and reach challenging new goals.
Meet Your Editor: Jenna
PhD, Emory University
MA, Université de Montréal
BA, University of Pittsburgh
Chicago Manual of Style
For me, cookbook editing is probably the perfect combination of the things I know and enjoy.
- I am the daughter of a food scientist. While I was growing up, I learned about ingredients in our backyard garden, and I learned to cook using the industrial stand mixer in our kitchen. I am an active, lifelong home cook.
- I am involved in food communities. I serve on the board of directors for the Maine Federation of Farmers’ Markets, a statewide nonprofit dedicated to supporting Maine’s farmers, strengthening our local food network, and fighting food insecurity in our state. I am also a member of the International Association of Culinary Professionals.
- I test recipes for some outstanding cookbook authors. Recipe testing helps me approach every project with even more appreciation for the author’s creativity and hard work.
I understand the chef and the home cook, and I know how to balance their needs on the page.
For every cookbook editing project, I work to ensure that every page is clear, complete, and engaging. I apply your house style carefully, and I work with authors productively. I have extensive experience with special diets (e.g., vegan, vegetarian, raw, Paleo, and Keto).
I am comfortable working with nutritional analysis, metric conversions, and complex methods.
I take rush projects when I have the time available to do high-quality work. Please always feel free to ask.
What you can expect from Tasteful Editing
- excellent nonfiction copyediting, line editing, and developmental editing
- reliable turnaround times and availablity for questions after the edit is complete
- timely updates to the project manager and editor during the edit
- a style sheet for every project to help your proofreader and indexer work efficiently
- quality comments and queries that are—above all—respectful
- a flexible editor who enjoys working with authors to make every book the best it can be
Tasteful Editing Supports
When I’m not digging through style guides, I enjoy life in Maine with my husband, Russell Patton, and our amazing little dog. We like running, hiking in Acadia, and going to see live music—anything from the Descendents to David Byrne to the Bangor Symphony Orchestra.
Reading: Vacationland: True Stories from Painful Beaches by John Hodgman
Listening: Ólafur Arnalds and Nils Frahm
Cooking: traditional Irish recipes
Running: the Millinocket Half-Marathon
Tasteful Editingmaking words delicious since 2009
Contact Jenna Nelson Patton to discuss your project. You can expect high-quality editing, excellent communication, and a positive attitude. I enjoy my work!